Owning a home is one long-term investment that most Australians will make at some stage in their lives. Home ownership comes with many responsibilities, security of your home being one of them.
Burglars are opportunists who look for the easiest places to break into. If they see a house with lights off, the drapes open and no CCTV cameras, they know that they have a pretty good chance of a successful burglary. On the other hand, lights on, closed drapes and effective CCTV cameras are signs that the burglar should not try break into this house. Â Here are a few great tips to prevent a break-in from occurring in and around your home.
Inside your home
- If you have recently moved into a new house or apartment, have the locks changed.
- Make sure the key locks, pins and other secure locks on windows and doors are properly installed.
- Have a deadbolt installed on the back door, given that most burglars try to break-in from more-hidden areas of the home.
- Use automatic timers to switch indoors lights on and off if you are going to be away from home for the night.
- Do not hide keys under doormats or in mailboxes. Instead provide an extra key to a trusted neighbour.
Outside your home
- Keep the lights in your yard, garage doors, pathways, porch and entrances illuminated even after you go to bed.
- Motion sensor lights are cost-efficient, easy to install, and an effective way to deter crime.
- If you have valuables in your home or live in a neighbourhood vulnerable to break-ins, consider installing an alarm system.
- Keep your yard well maintained. Trim shrubbery that blocks the view of your doors or windows.
- If you are going to be away for a while, stop your mail and newspaper delivery, or ask your neighbor to collect them for you.
- Most importantly, invest in a video surveillance system, not only does it identify criminal offenders, but it will also deter criminal behavior.
Last but not the least; consider calling the team at Eversafe who will provide you with Â effective home security solutions that will protect your family and your property. We will provide you with a free onsite security assessment and quote. Call us today on (03) 900 10 900.