How to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Leaks in Your Home

TAGS: , , ,
The CNN has branded CO “winter’s silent killer” as virtually all households use more gas for longer periods during the cold season and are thus more exposed to the risk of inhaling and being poisoned by carbon monoxide. This is not to discourage homeowners like you from using your gas pipelines to heat your residence. It’s to warn you to be vigilant about certain risks that may affect your health significantly. Take the case of Tyler and Chase Robinson, 6 and 8 years old respectively. In May 2010, the boys from Shepparton woke in the middle of the night and went to their mother’s room to sleep at her side. When Vanessa Robinson, the boys’ mother, woke up the next afternoon, she noticed something odd about her sons. Aside from that, she felt severe pain in her arm. When the paramedics came, they found that the boys had passed away. Their autopsy report revealed that the cause of their death was carbon monoxide poisoning. It was also discovered that a faulty wall heater was the source of the leak. Mrs. Robinson herself is left with a numb arm, a consequence of nerve damage brought about by CO poisoning. Mrs. Robinson and her sons were living in a rented flat. Recently, her landlord admitted that the heater in the rented property “has not been serviced for more than 4 years.” The carbon monoxide is dangerous because, according to Dr. Howard Frumkin of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “it binds with the red blood cells in our bodies and prevents them from carrying oxygen.” This can then lead to...